Scroll to the bottom to see more Disneyland posts.
We're headed back to Disneyland for the fourth time this year and we're traveling cheap again! Fall is a great time to visit Disneyland because the crowded have thinned out and there is a lot of Halloween fun! This is going to be another cheap vacation because of the the miles and points we've aquired from Southwest Airline Rapid Rewards Visa card and the IHG Rewards Club Visa card. Both of these cards have great introductory offers right now! Right now is a great time to sign up for credit cards because with the holidays around the corner it's easy to make those minimum spend requirements.
Here is the perfect formula for a cheap Disneyland vacation . . .
- Flight: ~10,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards miles per person roundtrip from SLC to LAX plus $5 per person in tax.
- Hotel: 15,000 IHG (Holiday Inn) reward points per night (75,000 points for 5 nights) + $0.
- Car: ~$28 a day for a car rental using Priceline.
- Park Tickets: Discount tickets are hard to come by, but check with friends who work on a military base or consider buying an annual pass.
Here's what you need to do to get 50,000 Southwest Airline Rapid Rewards for your flight.
- Sign up for the Southwest Airline Rapid Rewards Visa card. (It's a good idea for a husband and wife to each sign up for their own card, that way you'll get 50,000 rewards each. That's 100,000 Rapid Rewards for your family!)
- Spend $2,000 on your card in your first 3 months of opening your account. ($69 annual fee not waived.)
- After you spend at least $2,000 on your card, your 50,000 Rapid Rewards should be awarded in 6-8 weeks.
- Sign up for the 'Click 'N Save' Southwest Airlines e-mail alerts.
- Wait for the lowest fares on Southwest Airlines and then book your flights.
- Don't forget about the Hidden City trick when booking your flight.
- Sign up for the IHG Rewards Club Visa card. (It's a good idea for a husband and wife to each sign up for their own card, that way you'll get 80,000 rewards each. That's 160,000 IHG Rewards for your family!)
- Spend only $1,000 on your card in your first 3 months of opening your account.
- After you spend at least $1,000 on your card, your 80,000 IHG Rewards should be awarded in 6-8 weeks.
- When you're ready to book your hotel go to the IHG Rewards website and search for the Holiday Inn Buena Park-Near Knott's Hotel. (This hotel is 7 miles north of Disneyland, but includes a free shuttle, wifi and weekday breakfast. It only takes 10-15 minutes to get to the park. The hotel is also located near a Target and Stater Bros grocery store.)
- You will be able to book this hotel for only 15,000 IHG Reward points per night.
Checkout my other posts about Disneyland:
- Disneyland: Tips, Secrets and Successes
- When Driving is Cheaper than Flying to Disneyland
- FastPasses Explained
- Disneyland Park FastPass Secrets and Tips
- California Adventure FastPass Secrets and Tips
Disclaimer: Ideas in this blog post are from my own personal experiences and actual results may vary based on offers available at the time. I don't receive compensation for any of these credit card offers. This is not professional advice.